Dennis Locantore

Dennis Locantore
Studio pic

Sunday, January 23, 2011

RESPONSE TO JEFF G.

Not even sure if I like this film....I can't certainly recommend it to everyone and hesitate to do that. It is a very challenging film, it is extremely well made, violent, sexy (At least it has sexual content) and as I've said well acted...Reminded me in tone very much of Zulawski's film POSSESSION. It is extremely upsetting on a primal psychological level and there aren't many films that get under one's skin like this one does...I am not even saying this is in a POSITIVE way. There have been films in the past whose very content and manner are just so off-putting to most of the general moviegoing or watching public and that NEVER get to the point where this one does! Can think of many of these....John Byrum's INSERTS w/ Richard Dreifuss, Jessica Harper (of SUSPIRIA), Veronica Cartwright and Bob Hoskins, William Lustig's MANIAC w/ Joe Spinell, Ruggero Deodato's  CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, Cathraine Brelliat's ANATOMY OF HELL, Gaspar Noe's IRREVERSABLE just to name a few of these gut and psyche challenges. Even Abel Ferrara's  BAD LIEUTENANT would seem to fall in this company. How many of these are worthwhile ventures or worthy of being seen (if one CAN stand them) again and again is up to the individual. I remember when you gave me your copy of Yukio Noda's extremely violent ZERO WOMAN and gave me a disclaimer that it was more than you could stand!

   To a certain extent all cinema is a CONFRONTATION and some films are more confrontational than others. We who love the horror film genre are USED to CONFRONTATIONAL CINEMA. That fear element is a confrontation of that fear. THAT some of us who love movies want that confrontation, well THIS film definitely DOES THAT IN SPADES! So let that be a warning to all those who can accurately gauge what they can stand to see, feel and experience on screen....The one area where I can honestly say I can see no reason for ANYONE to see the film is it's ENTERTAINMENT value! It isn't that kind of movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment